This slow cooker green curry chicken provides the perfect mix of powerful flavor and convenience. This simple recipe combines coconut milk, green curry paste, garlic, chicken, and vegetables to create an easy and tasty meal.
Jump to Recipe keyboard_arrow_down
Freestyle™ SmartPoints™ New!
(6 Old SmartPoints™)
Slow Cooker Thai Green Curry Chicken Recipe
This easy Slow Cooker Green Curry Chicken is inspired by Thai curry with the delicious flavors of green curry paste and coconut milk with lean chicken breast and all kinds of veggies. Plus it is made in the crockpot so you can set it and forget it. For Thai food lovers, make it with these Thai Chicken Skewers and Thai Basil Beef for a full Thai feast.
When it comes to takeout, I will never turn down Thai food. From the delicious noodles dishes to Chicken Satay to the rice dishes and of course, the curries. I could eat Thai curry every day and be happy. It is one of those dishes that warms you from the inside out. Between the creamy coconut milk and the perfect level of heat, I am in heaven.
However, I will admit, that curry paste is one of those things I leave up to the experts. Living in LA, I am lucky to have access to an awesome Thai market that sells homemade curry paste but you can also get some really delicious store bought options. Just remember they vary in flavor and strength so you may have to adjust to get it to the flavor you like.
What is Thai Green Curry?
This delicious slow cooker green curry chicken recipe highlights green curry paste as the star of the show. Green curry? You may be wondering what it is. Most people think of the classic red or yellow curry when they think of curry. The main differences between these curry styles are the ingredients. Red curry uses chili powder and red curry paste and yellow curry uses turmeric to give it its vibrant yellow color.
Green curry uses some herbs and lime leaf to give it its fresh taste and green color. It is sometimes referred to in Thai as “sweet green”, but do not be fooled. Depending on the recipe, it can be just as spicy and flavorful as other curries. If you find you like this crockpot green curry chicken you can always experiment with yellow and red curries for more Thai curry fun.
Ways to Customize Slow Cooker Green Curry Chicken
This slow cooker green curry chicken recipe is very customizable. There is much versatility when it comes to the flavors and base of the dish.
- Change up the base of this recipe. Instead of using chicken, you can use other meats or a meat alternative. For example, you can easily switch out the chicken breast for chicken thighs or legs, pork tenderloin, or even tofu. Just make sure that you adjust the cooking time for the base you use.
- Try new veggies! You can also adjust the type of vegetables you use. This recipe goes well with so many different kinds of vegetables. From red and green bell peppers to carrots to potatoes, the options are endless.
- Find your perfect balance. Play around with the amount of curry powder and sugar you use in the recipe. Curry pastes vary in strength from brand to brand and you may need more or less to get it just where you like it when it comes to sweetness and spice. Also, use less sugar if your curry paste already includes it.
Side Dish Ideas for Slow Cooker Thai Curry Chicken
Another great thing about this crockpot green curry chicken is that it can be paired with a variety of sides. Regardless of your diet, you can find a side dish that pairs well with the flavor of this Thai curry.
- Rice is a classic side to any curry dish. It provides a substantial base that levels out the loud flavors of the curry. White rice is so easy to find and quick to make and pairs perfectly with the flavors of this Thai green curry. Brown rice and quinoa are two more great side dishes but are healthier than white rice.
- If you are feeling adventurous, then we highly recommend trying out this coconut cilantro cauliflower rice recipe. It has the best flavor while also having a vegetable base. It showcases the zesty flavors of lime, ginger, and cilantro, which go well with the rich flavors of the Thai curry. This cauliflower rice dish is a perfect option for those of you avoiding eating grains and other high carb foods.
- Consider serving this over a baked sweet potato – so good!
- If noodles are your thing, grab some rice noodles or spaghetti squash for your base.
- Turn this into a Thai curry soup by adding chicken broth.
How to Freeze
We all want to spend as little time and worry on dinner as possible, yet we still want to eat something that is tasty and unique. This slow cooker green curry chicken recipe gives you the best of both worlds. It is very simple and quick to prepare and tastes delicious. It is a perfect meal to make for those busy days or a day where you do not feel like putting much effort into your dinner.
Another convenient aspect of this recipe is that you can easily prepare it ahead of time, freeze it, and cook it in the crockpot at a later date. All you have to do is mix together the coconut milk, curry paste, sugar, and garlic. Add the mixture to a Ziploc bag along with the vegetables and raw chicken. Freeze and keep for up to three months. Cook as directed when you are ready to enjoy it.
What Makes this Green Curry Chicken Healthy?
As if this recipe did not sound appealing enough, it is also healthy. Chicken is a great source of protein and is much lower in fats compared to other meats. This dish is also a great way to get in a serving of vegetables while still tasting great. Yet if you are really concerned about the healthiness of this recipe, then feel free to lower the amount of sugar you add.